Scully’s Medical Problems in Dentistry, 7e-Original PDF
Amazon Price $95
This text offers an authoritative account of general medical and surgical conditions as they apply to the practice of dentistry and oral healthcare. Now established as the standard reference on the subject, Scully’s Medical Problems in Dentistry is essential for students learning for the first time or practitioners needing to keep up-to-date with their knowledge.
“This remains an excellent comprehensive textbook bringing together relevant information into one place. It is a book to use for reference, rather than an; end-to-end read, but it continues to fulfil its function amply in the increasingly complex world of the medical-dental interface.” Reviewed by Dr Mike Pemberton, Consultant in Oral Medicine, Dental Updatem, Sept 2014
“…an extremely valuable source of information that should be in the armamentarium of any dental professional…” Reviewed by European Journal of Orthodontics, Feb 2015
“… seems as close as could be to a completely comprehensive overview of common and uncommon medical problems and their dental relevance”. Reviewed by Bex Stockton on behalf of BDJ Student, February 2015
- Helps understanding of the relevant illness as identified from the patient’s history, physical examination and investigations;
- Shows readers how to present a succinct and, when appropriate, unified list of all problems that could influence oral health care and formulate a diagnosis/treatment plan for each problem;
- Emphasises the need to appreciate issues of access and informed consent, preventive oral health care and the avoidance of harm;
- Enables the reader to develop strategies to identify patients at risk of medical problems, to assess the severity of those risks and, where necessary, to recognize the need for referral;
- Places emphasis on good communication between all health-care professionals, and between HCPs and patients;
- Emphasises the need to take into account people’s cultural needs and preferences as well as deal with patients who may have additional needs such as physical, sensory or learning disabilities;
- User-friendly format allows ease of access to information whether for exam revision purposes or for a specific issue confronting staff in a busy clinical environment.
- Includes an array of new disorders ranging from hypersensitivity syndrome to neuropathic pain;
- Discusses recent updates in pharmacology and other aspects of medical intervention, including the use of biological therapies;
- Explores new areas such as cosmetic and other implants, dental materials hypersensitivity, drugs and dietary interactions and new aspects of alternative medicine;
- Other issues include elder maltreatment, care of vulnerable people, treatment of sexual minorities, new substance abuse and self-harm;
- Explores the link between periodontal infection and various systemic diseases;
- New national and international guidelines, selected recent references and up-to-date websites.
- Hardcover: 832 pages
- Publisher: Churchill Livingstone; 7 edition (June 10, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0702054011
- ISBN-13: 9780702054013