Sports Nutrition for Paralympic Athletes, Second Edition-Original PDF
Login is required
If you are not our user, for invitation Click Here
Amazon Price $113
Size : 8.44 MB
Sports participation opportunities for individuals with impairments are increasing. Whether an athlete is beginning a sport or competing on the world stage for a podium finish, nutrition is recognized as being integral to optimizing their health, training capacity, and performance. Some athletes with impairments are physiologically similar to their able-bodied counterparts, whereby the application of sports nutrition principles is straightforward. However, athletes with certain impairments require a very individualized approach when applying these principles in a practical way.
Fully updated and expanded, this second edition of Sports Nutrition for Paralympic Athletes is an essential resource for sports nutrition practitioners who work alongside athletes with an impairment, whether that be physical, visual, hearing, or intellectual. In addition to chapters devoted to each impairment type, this book covers specific areas including medical considerations, body composition, supplements, and practical aspects that can be applied across all athletes and sports. Case studies and messages from athletes and world-class coaches enhance the application of theoretical research into practice providing the most relevant sports nutrition advice to Para athletes.
- New chapters on energy availability in Para athletes and cooling and hydration for the Para athlete
- Concise review of current sports nutrition recommendations for athletes, both during training and in competition
- Provides practical guidance and examples on how to apply sports nutrition principles to each impairment type
- Includes real life experiences of Para athletes, elite coaches, and practitioners
- Encompasses wider topics of assessing body composition, medical considerations, and supplement use specific to Para athletes
- Features insight and experiences gained by practitioners over the three major Paralympic Games since the first edition
Sports nutrition can be the difference between being competitive and making the podium. With the rapidly increasing Paralympic profile, this book is valuable for professionals endeavoring to give their athletes the competitive edge – it challenges, stimulates, and drives future research in this area to continue to improve the delivery of this intrinsic component of athlete preparation.
- Hardcover: 366 pages
- Publisher: CRC Press; 2 edition (May 2, 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1138589004
- ISBN-13: 978-1138589001